Hey there friend! I already mentioned that I want to really help you keep a positive mindset during this pandemic.
I always like to start with the facts and then I'll put my spin on it in my very own "Heather like way!"
What are the mental health benefits of exercise?
Exercise is not just about getting physically fit and muscle size. Sure, exercise can improve your physical health and your physique, trim your waistline, improve your sex life, and even add years to your life. But that’s not what motivates most people to stay active.
People who exercise regularly tend to do so because it gives them an enormous sense of well-being. They feel more energetic throughout the day, sleep better at night, have sharper memories, and feel more relaxed and positive about themselves and their lives. And it’s also powerful medicine for many common mental health challenges. IT'S SO TRUE and i used to read these things and think pfffffff - yeah, ok. Right!! Honestly - I used to think the same thing.
When I realized that exercise could actually help with anxiety, stress and depression - I REALLY STARTED TO STUDY THE PSCYH PART OF IT ALL. If you know me, I am a very deep thinker and I go pretty deep in conversation. I'm not really one to entertain gossip or shallow small talk. I like a stimulated mind that is full of curiosity!
Regular exercise can have a profoundly positive impact on depression, anxiety, ADHD (squirrel brain) , and more. It also relieves stress, improves memory, helps you sleep better, and boosts your overall mood.
And you don’t have to be a fitness fanatic to reap the benefits. Research indicates that modest amounts of exercise can make a difference. No matter your age or fitness level, you can learn to use exercise as a powerful tool to feel better.
Exercise and depression
Studies show that exercise can treat mild to moderate depression as effectively as antidepressant medication—but without the side-effects, of course.
In the midst of this hopefully SHORT LIVED QUARANTINE we are currently in.....it is extremely important to keep filling your mind with GOOD STUFF. Take a break from the NEWS and scrolling social media with all the true and false information floating around out there right now! Now more than ever is probably the most valuable time to get dialed into a REGULAR WORKOUT ROUTINE - I can help you with that. I've been working out from home for years but NOW IS THE PERFECT TIME - YOU HAVE TIME to invest into your health and fitness now! I'd love to partner with you and be your personal coach! I have a few options - including a completely free community to get you going.
As one example, a recent study done by the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health found that running for 15 minutes a day or walking for an hour reduces the risk of major depression by 26%.
In addition to relieving depression symptoms, research also shows that maintaining an exercise schedule can prevent you from falling down into a negative mindset.
Exercise is a powerful anxiety, fear & depression fighter for several reasons. Most importantly, it promotes all kinds of changes in the brain, including neural growth, reduced inflammation, and new activity patterns that promote feelings of calm and well-being.
It also releases endorphins (oh how I love endorphins), powerful chemicals in your brain that energize your spirits and make you feel good.
Finally, exercise can also serve as a distraction, allowing you to find some quiet time to break out of the cycle of negative thoughts that feed depression. I call it ME TIME!
As a busy mom, you just have to invest in yourself every day. You cannot pour from an empty cup ya know!
Exercise and anxiety
Exercise is a natural and effective anti-anxiety treatment. It relieves tension and stress, boosts physical and mental energy, and enhances well-being through the release of endorphins. Anything that gets you moving can help, but you’ll get a bigger benefit if you pay attention instead of zoning out.
Exercise and stress
Ever noticed how your body feels when you’re under stress? Your muscles may be tense, especially in your face, neck, and shoulders, leaving you with back or neck pain, or painful headaches.
You may feel a tightness in your chest, a pounding pulse, or muscle cramps. You may also experience problems such as insomnia, heartburn, stomachache, diarrhea, or frequent urination.
The worry and discomfort of all these physical symptoms can in turn lead to even more stress, creating a vicious cycle between your mind and body.
Exercising is an effective way to break this cycle.
As well as releasing endorphins in the brain, physical activity helps to relax the muscles and relieve tension in the body. Since the body and mind are so closely linked, when your body feels better so, too, will your mind.
Exercise and ADHD
Exercising regularly is one of the easiest and most effective ways to reduce the symptoms of ADHD and improve concentration, motivation, memory, and mood. Physical activity immediately boosts the brain’s dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin levels—all of which affect focus and attention. In this way, exercise works in much the same way as ADHD medications such as Ritalin and Adderall.
With all of the challenges going on in the world lately - I encourage you to implement some of the things that are working for me right now -
1. Make a schedule. Your new normal may not look like it used to but that's ok. A new normal needs a new routine schedule. BLOCK OUT YOUR TIME. Still get up with an alarm, make your unicorn juice (or whatever you drink to get you going)----write in your journal - take notes of how you are feeling every morning.
2. Express gratitude and take time to pray - even if it's 10 minutes every day. Print out prayer here to say daily.
3. Workout - if you don't know where to start or what to do - Please, this is what I do - PLEASE JOIN ME HERE!
4. SCHEDULE your new work agenda.
5. REFOCUS on your future goals. Discover your dream board and create your new life vision.
6. Declutter things - I shared my 30 Day Declutter Challenge calendar here.
7. Learn new things - I have a full library to help you here!
8. Learn about other ways to supplement your income. Do you like helping others? Have you ever considered coaching on my team with me? What i'm doing now is exactly what I do on the daily - I help others, spread lite and try to comfort people with strategy customized to them! Sharing is caring - I love to serve you guys! Learn more here.
9. Limit your SOCIAL MEDIA (FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, ETC) TIME...... set an alarm. Seriously - this limits you WASTING TIME in the vortex.
10. Learn TIK-TOK - it's fun. Be a kid - do it with your kids. The videos are fun. LOL - this is just a time filler - something funny - lots of dancing and things we can do there for fun.
11. Check out my FREE FITNESS AT HOME schedule I put together for you here.
12. When all else fails, let's go shopping - lol seriously - I just joined the BLOGGERS LIKE TO KNOW IT APP and I'd love your support over there if you love all things shopping on line with me. JOIN ME HERE
13. Listen to some positive uplifting podcasts - I'd love for you to join me here.
It's time to be confident in God's protection and provision for your life!